Naturally, I’ve been fiddling with Avastar pretty heavily in the last couple of days. I decided to start with the option of rerigging my mesh in Avastar, which I seem to be doing all right with. The only problem that I see is that the ear animation probably won’t work the way I could get it to work in Maya, so if that’s the case, I’ll make the eyebones back into eyes and make attachable ears that just move via script.
I’ve got to the point where I am uploading and testing the avatar in SL again, using Avastar’s method. It’s nice in that I can upload an .anim, and set it to a higher priority than 4 (very useful for non-human geometry, so other animations don’t break through and make things look really wonky.) I don’t know everything the Blender animation system does yet, so hopefully it will let me do different priorities on different bones like I’ve heard .anim files can support.
The main thing I noticed is that I was able to build the mesh around a male default shape, which is something that was annoying me before. This is good. However, when I wear the avatar in SL, the shape is slightly off. I have a feeling it has something to do with the custom sliders, so I’ll find out what the issue is there by fiddling around.