So with much fiddling and reworking, I seem to have the skinning and weighting for the rig that I want to use. There are definitely some pros and cons with the new skeleton.
- I was able to work in more bones for the neck. This will help with posing and attaching manes properly.
- The tail and eyelids are now part of the mesh and the blinking and tail movements will be natural and animated instead of script-translated objects.
- Expressions are a lot more functional now with all the new face bones.
- In order to work in the extra neck bones, I was unable to properly connect the eyes so that they move naturally like an avatar’s to the focal point. If you want to know why, here’s why:
- In order to use the facial animations, you CANNOT fiddle with the appearance sliders. Customers are just going to understand that we currently can’t do anything about this. Here’s why:
Overall though, the pros are far better than the cons so I am happy and plugging along with new animations!
Here’s a clip of how nice the blinking looks now.